From the products we put in and on our bodies, to the way we rest and unwind, we love to live life well. That’s why self-care, nutrition, movement, meditation, and home and lifestyle brands entrust us to help them with various legal aspects of their business.
We are passionate about supporting various businesses within the wellness space, such as yoga and Pilates studios, wellness practitioners from all disciplines, new-age practitioners, meditation studios and homewares and lifestyle brands such as candles, crystals and vitamins.
We can help you with things like:
- General business structuring and set up advice;
- Regulatory matters, including compliance with the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 (Cth) and the Australian Consumer Law;
- Product packaging, labelling and advertising;
- Compliance with the Consumer Goods (Cosmetics) Information Standard 2020 and the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 (Cth) and other laws;
- Brand protection;
- Intellectual property matters, including rights, use, protection, commercialisation and infringement;
- Commercial leases;
- Agreements with suppliers, stockists, employees, contractors and more;
- General employment matters, including advice on applicable awards;
- Terms and conditions for websites and e-commerce stores;
- Disputes and litigation; and
- Much, much more!
Examples of work:
- Advising a start-up business on the food and medicine regulatory overlap and providing recommendations on whether to class products as therapeutic goods or foods, taking into account brand strategy and market positioning, commercial operations and financial constraints, and regulatory obligations and costs.
- Managing various Australian and international trade mark portfolios, including for yoga studios, supplements brands and home and lifestyle businesses.
- Preparing and negotiating wholesale supplier agreements, including non-disclosure agreements for the purposes of preparatory / pre-engagement discussions.
- Preparing website and online store terms & conditions.
- Assisting the founders of a home fragrance range to successfully resolve a trade mark infringement and passing off dispute, including preparation of cease and desist letters and negotiating an acceptable commercial resolution.
- Negotiating regular brand ambassador and endorsement deals and providing ongoing advice on advertising laws for a well-known Australian FMCG brand in the wellness space.