You won’t find our lawyers walking around in drab, poorly designed suits – it’s just not our thing. Instead, we’re lovers and followers of fashion and you can be sure to find us obsessing over and wearing our favourite new outfits to work.
With our love of the fashion industry and specialist legal skills in this space, we’re here to support the many players of the industry, including those behind the scenes such as designers, pattern makers, textile designers, manufacturers, sales agents, event producers and model agencies to those ‘front of house’ such as retailers and models.
We can help you with things like
- General business structure, set up and asset protection advice;
- Navigating the intersection between copyright law and designs law;
- Intellectual property rights, protection and infringement;
- Trade mark registration and protection;
- Design registration and certification;
- Securing a retail premises (including advising on heads of agreement, drafting and negotiating leases);
- Agreements with employees, freelancers, contractors, manufacturers, stockists, suppliers, wholesalers, sales agents, managers, talent, models and more;
- General employment matters, including advice on applicable awards;
- E-commerce including online retail terms and conditions;
- Disputes and litigation; and
- Much, much more!
Examples of work:
- Advising fashion designers and labels on the intersection between the Designs Act 2003 (Cth) and the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) and how best to protect their designs and registering and certifying fashion designs under the Designs Act 2003 (Cth) with IP Australia.
- Preparing all documents (including business set up documents, wholesale supplier agreements, terms and conditions and privacy policies) for a high street womenswear label.
- Handling brand and design protection and well as copyright and design disputes for leading Australian hospitality apparel brand.
- Reviewing and advising on regional and international sales agent agreements for a casual womenswear label.
- Ongoing brand protection, including devising and implementing a registered trade mark protection strategy, for a large activewear company.