Not only do we live, breathe and love the music industry – many of our lawyers have also worked within it. Our team consists of experienced musicians, music industry booking agents, managers, festival and tour coordinators and DJs. This expertise allows us to understand and identify the unique challenges and commercial opportunities for our clients.
As experienced music lawyers, we represent artists, musicians, record labels, publishers, music distributors, festivals, event promoters, radio stations, managers, touring agents and many others working within the music industry.
We can help you with things like:
- Setting up new music industry businesses like record labels, publishers, booking agencies and more;
- Agreements for performers, artists, bands, management, booking agencies, producers, record labels, publishers and more;
- Copyright matters, including rights, use, protection, infringement and commercialisation;
- Copyright licences and assignments;
- Moral rights and performer rights;
- Clearing samples;
- Distribution deals for both physical and digital products;
- Trade mark registration of performer, record label or other business names;
- Music industry ‘standards’ advice;
- Collection of royalties;
- Cease and desist letters;
- APRA/AMCOS/ARIA music licences;
- Band disputes;
- Breach of contract advice;
- Festival ‘legals’;
- Disputes and litigation; and
- Much, much more!
Examples of work:
- Drafting music industry agreements for all stakeholders in the industry and ensuring fairness and satisfaction for the parties involved.
- Representing prominent independent music label in commercial and IP matters including drafting suite of artist agreements, negotiating sub-publishing agreement with well-known overseas publisher and restructuring business.
- Advising artists on copyright infringement of their original works and drafting cease and desist letters or engaging in other dispute resolution strategies to address the infringement.
- Establishing and representing peak music industry not-for-profits set up to support music industry businesses with various issues facing the music industry including the COVID-19 pandemic and increases to copyright licence fees for music use.
- Handling legal affairs for various festivals prior to the event and ensuring watertight agreements are in place to protect their commercial interests including advising on music licensing, artist engagement terms, recording of performances and other issues.
- Negotiating copyright licenses for the use of musical works on behalf of clients who intend to sample or create an adaptation of that musical work.
- Running litigation in the Magistrates’ Court in relation to a dispute between a music manager and well-known artist.